I don't think a weekend goes by where at some point a classic rock song will be played over the radio and I'm asked, where did rock go wrong ?
This one is a touchy subject, im not aiming to bad mouth any rock that's come out recently, each to there own and to be honest modern rock does have its good points.
This is an argument i give a different answer to however. The question i usually ask back is, "Will the modern rock of today be considered classic rock in the far future ?"
I honestly don't think so, because the way i see it, bands today work differently to how they did in the past. Technology allows a tune being composed to be recorded to near perfection, digital sounding, clean, no mess etc
To some people that's fantastic, to others not so much. Part of the appeal of classic rock was the fact it was dirty rock. I remember one of the old Greenday album's back when they were more grunge than soft rock, during the recording of one of the songs which was recorded in the garage of one of the band members, you could hear a phone ring and a baby cry in the background.
The track was kept as recorded and its just one example of hundreds . . . .
Classic rock also has its stories to go along with the tunes unlike alot of today's rock that just seems to be processed track after track. I remember hearing about one of the Beatles tracks, recording went on into a song while Ringo went to the bathroom and he made it back just in time for his drum intro mid way through the song without missing a beat.
I guess the point i try to make is that its the small things like the above that are missing in modern rock. I know a few weeks back when AC/DC released there new single it immediately felt different to the stuff being released around it . . . kid rock - all summer long ???
If there is one thing i despise the most its young musicians taking classic tunes and turning them into pop melodies for tweens. I almost died when i overheard a group of girls who heard the original over a speaker in the mall ask who ripped kid rock off ?
Back on topic . . .
Maybe im wrong, perhaps in ten years time we will hear all the stories of the modern rock era and look back at bands like Fall Out Boy and think "wow what an era"
or maybe im ten years time we will look back at the modern rock of now and think "why why why did the record companies sell rocks soul for a few tween metrosexual's jumping around to pop beats disguised as rock.
All i know is that in 20 years time ill be able to answer the question im always asked.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment