Ok i said that Jackman as host would either be hit or miss, for me it was a hit.I guess it depended on what you expected from the awards night, those expecting joke after joke would have been disappointed, Jackman tanked in the joke department, tho Tina Fey and Steve Martin covered for him very well ....
Those expecting a host that does more than just read off a tele-prompter would have loved the awards show ...
I mean come on, the dodgy Dark Knight motorcycle ? The Benjamin Button wall, and Hathaway did well too ... It wasnt as gay as i thought it would be, best opening to an Oscars in years!
I had a quick look at a few online blog posts on the topic and it seems to have been a mixed response, many younger people missed having more jokes, many older people loved having more variety.
So here is a list of what i liked and disliked ....
I liked ...
- Hugh Jackman's opening, reminiscent of Billy Crystal yet this one was live to air and he made it his own. Even when he was laughing while singing, it just added to the charm of him hosting and not taking himself too seriously.
- The slumdog kids on the red carpet, not afraid to show there excitement, autograph book included.
- The actor/actress nominees getting a personal message from each presenter made it a night to remember even for the losers.
- Ledgers family giving a short yet humbling speech on behalf of there son & his sister looking smokin!
- Tina Fey & Steve Martin
- Wall-E
- The lack of an Academy President's speech.
- Penelope Cruz's speech, shes so cute.
- Kate Winslett asking her dad to whistle, upon which he did! Yeah!
I didn't like ...
- Ben Stiller, you can do better
- Reece Witherspoon, because i just don't like you!
As you can see the positives far out weigh the negatives, and while i haven't seen any of the past awards nights over the years, I'm pretty sure this one was up there ...

I never drooled so much during an Oscar telecast in all my life.
ReplyDelete